Tuesday, October 11, 2011

Illamasqua Theatre of the Nameless
Review & Swatches!


It's no secret that I'm a fan of Illamasqua. The announcement of every new collection has me waiting with bated breath for just a glimpse of the campaign. This season's Autumn/Winter collection, Theatre of the Nameless, is no different. Dark, opulent tones blend with flashes of iridescence evoking the dank mustiness of an illicit nightlife long past...or simply hidden out of sight?
"In this nocturnal den of the dissident leaders of underworld subcultures, exotic dancers rub shoulders with actors and anarchists."




With copy like that and images like these, what's not to like??? Oh, what about the products, you say? Well, I was lucky enough to have the chance to try several of the collection's items: Intense Lipgloss in Facade, Precision Ink in Havoc, and the brand new Masquara in Raven.


Intense Lipgloss in Façade is described as a high-shine Grey Pink, though to me it's more on the mocha-taupe side (more brown, less grey). For those that have never tried Illamasqua's Intense glosses, they are highly pigmented and do indeed pack a lot of shine- I'd almost call them a liquid lipstick with the shine of a gloss. The texture is somewhat thick and sticky (not unlike MAC Lipglass) so the color wears well.


Intense Lipgloss in Façade, on bare lips


Precision Ink in Havoc is a fine felt-tipped liquid liner pen in a rich, red-aubergine shade. The liner is long wearing and waterproof, and despite a very wet feeling, it is very quick-drying. The dry speed can be a benefit and downfall at the same time: it is much less likely to transfer and smudge on my eye as I'm applying (which is great since I have a hooded lid) but if you're someone who likes to perfect your line by cleaning up the edges with a cotton swab or sponge, you'll have to work quickly- once dry the product does have a tendency to flake if fussed with. 

I also have to add I adore the shiny, almost patent leather-like finish this dries down to! You can see the shine somewhat in the eyeball pic, but more so in the hand swatch. I also smudged the bottom line on my hand to better illustrate the color. 



Finally, Illamasqua's New Masquara. Raven is a midnight black shade (and the only one currently available) in this lengthening, defining mascara. The brush is a traditional, somewhat large style with full bristles, not un-like a larger version of Make Up For Ever's Smoky Lash. The formula applies well (though for the first week or so I did find I needed to wipe away the excess mascara from the wand before applying) and results in a very well defined, much longer and slightly thicker looking lash. The effect reminds me of Dior's coveted Diorshow, with one notable difference: Illamasqua's Masquara wears all day with no sign of flaking, or smudging!

Have you tried anything from the new collection? I'm awfully curious about the new Nail Varnishes; I know Illamasqua is at the top of the polish game, so of course new colors wouldn't be enough- the 4 new Theatre of the Nameless shades dry down to a waxy, rubberized finish, which seems like the perfect evolution of last season's matte trend. I can't wait to try them!



The products featured in this review were submitted for promotional consideration by a representative of the company. What does this mean? I didn't pay for it. My commitment is to you- my readers- and to myself (it's called integrity, I like to have it). The opinions expressed on Outinapout.com are my own, based on my own research and experience; I am not paid in any way nor is the final outcome of the post influenced by any outside party.

6 comments:

Eden-Avalon said...

Thanks for sharing! Man that lip looks so much more beautiful applied than I thought it would!

socialitedreams said...

okay so is that green lipstick that i spy? SO NEED

Phyrra said...

LOVE the lippy on you! Also, your liner looks amazing :)

Musing on Beauty said...

Love the lipgloss on you! Didn't think it would be that wearbale.
And this liner looks fab but I have way too many liners already, haven't I?

Makeup Products said...

I like that lip shade very much and the eyes are also very attractive with that eye liner.

Jess said...

I like the eyeliner. I never thought of doing little dots. It adds a little something funky while still being a wearable look! I will have to try this.

http://jessbeez.blogspot.com/

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...