Thursday, August 18, 2011

30 in 30: Question #3
What's Your Favorite Brand?

My answers to 30 makeup questions in 30 days! Today's question is:

Question #3. Favourite brand?

This could be the toughest question on this list. I simply don’t have a favorite brand. I've worked for several brands through the years, and when you work retail, it’s just not kosher to have a “favorite” brand- aside, of course, from the one that’s signing your paychecks. I was lucky to always genuinely believe in the brands I worked with, but even then, it's binding to feel restricted to only one brand. When I stopped working retail and started solely freelancing, I became quite a whore when it came to my brand loyalty. Which is to say, I have very little. I’ll try anything one time! There are some brands that I favor, though no brand is perfect and no one brand does everything best; these brands are no exception.

I’m a big fan of Illamasqua.


The brand image and ethos is just spot on my aesthetic. The visuals Illamasqua puts out are consistently the most cutting edge, truly artistic images I see. Creative Director Alex Box is a visionary, and it shines through in the line. Yes, the products are hit and miss, they can be a pain to get a hold of, and they’re overpriced (but I think all prestige brands are- it simply doesn't cost $22 to produce a lipstick). Regardless, Illamasqua is a brand that always catches my eye, and they’re one of the few that’s doing truly new things in the industry.

I’m also a fan of Sleek Makeup. Again, a brand not without a downside, but this line consistently produces quality, on-trend products and colors for a fraction of the cost of their high-end counterparts. Disappointingly, e-commerce and customer service issues plague Sleek, but I still find it impossible to pass up top notch products (their Pout Polish is one of my all-time favorites) that keep up with the trends without offending my bank account.

Finally, though it’s not exactly one brand, I have to call out the goodness that the theatrical brands bring to the table. Hard to match foundation? Try Graftobian. A setting spray that actually works? Ben Nye. Killer bright shadow shades that won’t break the bank? Kryolan.

So, yeah. My favorite? Variety!

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...